Friday, January 28, 2011
East Kentucky Broadcasting Capsule News...West Virginia...1-29-'11
- Chris E. Coats of Chapmanville, in Logan County, has been charged with malicious wounding after police say he stabbed Michael Conley, also of Chapmanville. Coats told police Conley had pulled a pistol on him before he stabbed Conley.
- Massey Energy General Counsel Shane Harvey has pubicly disputed MSHA's preliminary assessment of the deadly April 5th Upper Big Branch explosion, blaming worn bits, missing sprayers and coal dust. Harvey said, during a media briefing Friday, that Massey continues to believe an inundation of natural gas fueled the explosion.
- Officials have identified the miner killed at the Baylor Mining Jim's Branch 3A Mine near Pineville Thursday as 19 year old John C. Lester Jr. of Wyoming County. Lester was a red hat miner, which means he was still training.
- Timothy Scott Carter, 35, of Sissonville, was arrested Friday on five felony counts of possession of child pornography from Kanawha County, two felony counts of third-degree sexual assault in Putnam County and misdemeanor charges of domestic battery and violation of a protective order in Kanawha County.
- Anthony Patrick Cole, 19, of Huntington, has been charged with the murder of Dashawn Gilbert who was found shot to death in a Huntington apartment Wednesday.
- Larry Hayes of South Charleston was in court Friday asking for a bond reduction after being charged with child abuse causing death in connection with the October death of 18-month-old Rebecca McDaniel. His request was denied, and a trial was set for June 6th.
Links to this post: