Wednesday, April 30, 2008

 

Statement From Outgoing KY Postsecondary Education President.

Today I announce my resignation as president of the Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education. I do this for one reason: in the foreseeable future, it would be necessary to devote excessive time and effort to unproductive activities, denying me the satisfaction of fruitful work.

I was drawn to this position by my desire to make a meaningful contribution in aligning the Commonwealth’s always-limited resources to our statewide postsecondary education goals.

During my eight month tenure, there has arisen within the Council a consensus agenda that focuses on affordability, performance funding, accountability and the state’s Double the Numbers educational attainment goal. The Council determined from my track record here that my experience and qualifications would be a good match with its long-term agenda.

I am not aware of any dissimilarity between the Council’s postsecondary education agenda and that of Governor Beshear. Iin the last two weeks, he has shown a determined interest in the Council’s presidency, contending that the organization must duplicate last year’s search and must exclude me from it.

I have no desire to wage a battle with the Governor over this matter. It would unduly harm Kentucky’s postsecondary education reform efforts, and the positive momentum that has been achieved to this point.
It has been a great pleasur
e to have had the opportunity to work over the past eight months with a deeply committed staff and outstanding board members. The Council’s work is nationally respected and should be a source of great pride to the Commonwealth.

The effective date of my resignation will be worked out with the Council to provide a seamless transition to new leadership.
###





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?